Hiring: Full-time Frontend Web Developer
The central Marketing and Communications Office is looking for an individual who is driven to create web user experiences that bring the university brand to life and encourage action.
We are looking for a strong developer with solid experience in website design, UX, and working with APIs. The individual will need to have enough HTML/CSS/JS experience to develop the frontend HTML through an existing build process and tooling.
Ability to blend technical expertise with a design aesthetic that embraces the university identity guidelines and explores new creative executions incorporating the university’s brand campaign. The ability to juggle multiple projects to meet project deadlines.
Ability to work collaboratively across disciplines — design, digital execution, editorial, marketing, to come up with new solutions.
Reporting to the web development manager, you would join two backend developers and two other frontend developers on the web development team. The Web Communications cross-functional team also includes a three-person content group, digital designers, a multimedia specialist, a project coordinator, several interns, and our executive director of digital communications.
We build and maintain the underlying systems that run each of the public-facing sites on campus. This includes our content management system, events calendar, RSVP/forms system, news manager, profiles editor, and other related tools and systems. We are set up like an internal agency and work with most areas of campus to create and maintain their public web presence.
The central marketing office also includes a business manager, public relations, strategists, editorial, creative designers, and videographers, all under the direction of the Vice President for Communications and Chief of Staff. Our mission is to raise the stature of the university.
# Primary responsibilities
- Collaborate throughout the entire project cycle, from research, strategy, information architecture, visual design, frontend development, and maintenance.
- Use frontend web CSS frameworks, Foundation, Tailwind, etc.
- Understand backend web development environments, including HTTP, web servers, load balancers, the interpretation layer, databases, and associated web frameworks.
- Write web applications that retrieve and update information in relational web-centric databases (using Laravel and APIs).
- Clearly communicate to project stakeholders and process feedback internally and externally.
- Troubleshoot website layout and web application performance issues and resolve issues independently or direct issues to the responsible party.
- Provide direct supervision to internal website interns and guidance to unit website content authors.
- Work with accuracy and attention to detail to meet deadlines.
- Understand and execute oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Use project management skills to provide time estimates and prepare accurate records and reports.
- Use web applications programming languages, tools, and/or methodologies to develop integrated web applications typically acquired through formal education or equivalent experience in web application development.
- Analyze customer requirements and develop basic information systems solutions.
- Translate functional requirements into cross-browser WCAG 2.0 AA compliant websites.
- Strong understanding of web technologies and related user device capabilities required to access the web.
- Use test-driven development.
# How to apply
Apply at jobs.wayne.edu (opens new window). Posting #045513