Wayne State Web Team

Wayne State University Web Team Blog

IGTV - InstagramTV - Photos, stories and now long form video

# Another place to post content on Instagram?

Yep! We went from Feeds - to - Feeds and Stories - and now we have - Feeds, Stories and Channels!

Instagram Feed example Instagram Feed

Instagram Story Example Instagram Story

IGTV - Channel example IGTV - Channel

Over the weekend Instagram rolled out IGTV (opens new window) -- a new video channel to watch longer format video. Depending on your status within Instagram you will be able to upload video from 15 seconds to an hour long, but most accounts will be limited to 10 minutes max.

# Why is this important?

With 10 minutes of uninterrupted storytelling time, the big picture is now an option. Microstories are great (don’t get me wrong) but sometimes a deep dive is what you need and telling that in one long segment as opposed to eight tiny ones is a better user experience.

# What’s the downside?

With this being brand new, there might not be a downside but I do have two concerns.

# You now have three content areas to create for one social platform.

• It took users awhile to check both stories and their feed, will adding a third be an issue?

• Facebook stories have not been adopted by users, could this be similar?

# Shooting in vertical

• That means what you create for IGTV won't work well in YouTube and vice versa. Will this be a barrier to new content?

# What’s the upside?

With this being brand new, there might not be an upside...but of course, there is an upside!

What users will do with their channels and their expanded time options will be exciting! I have a million ideas in my head from “Five minutes with our Faculty” to “Trips around the City.” Just the newness of the platform will spark creativity!

# How to get started

Use the Instagram app or the IGTV standalone app. Both are available for IOS and Android.

IGTV

Instagram

Create the Channel using your Instagram account and you can start uploading video right away!

# Selfish word of caution

I repeatedly say that Instagram is my happy place. It’s not a place for politics or news; for me, it’s been about the beauty I see around me and a reminder to not only see it but to stop and enjoy it, take a picture and share it with the world. I fear that  IGTV will change this platform. Although I also thought Stories would have ruined Instagram and it didn’t. I love scrolling through stories. Most accounts create stories that are on-brand, on-message and enhance the user experience. Fingers crossed IGTV goes in the same direction.

Instagram grid (opens new window) Wayne State Instagram Feed